A simple quinoa salad packed with flavor and fresh veggies, and then drizzled in a tangy-yet-sweet cilantro lime vinaigrette. Author: Katie of Veggie and the Beast Recipe type: Salad, Grain, Healthy Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten Free
Ingredients Black Bean Quinoa Bowl
- 2 teaspoons non-gmo canola oil
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 1 cup quinoa
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ red onion, cut into thin slices
- ½ red bell pepper, cut into thin slices
- ½ yellow bell pepper, cut into thin slices
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette, recipe follows
- Optional toppings: sliced avocado, feta (if not vegan), crushed tortilla chips
- ½ cup cilantro
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon honey (or agave, for vegan option)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 lime, juiced (about 1½ tbsp) and zested
- 2 tablespoons non-gmo canola oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- Heat 2 tsp of canola oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped red onion and cook until starting to soften, 2-3 minutes. Pour in the dry quinoa and toast, stirring frequently, for 3-5 minutes. Add 2 cups water and salt, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the water is absorbed. Set aside.
- Toss together the cooked quinoa with the black beans, thinly-sliced red onion, red bell pepper, and yellow bell peppers in a bowl.
- To make the vinaigrette, combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until completely smooth. Taste and adjust salt to your liking.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the quinoa and toss well. Serve with corn tortilla chips, sliced avocado, and feta (if not vegan). Can be eaten hot or cold.