by David Kanegis /Huffington Post Contributor/ Certified Professional Coach, Mind Acrobatics™ Practitioner, & Principal/Educational Coaching Associates
Think it's too short to waste on repetitive thoughts and actions? Tired of the treadmill?
If you're driven to distraction with the same old stuff, want to be a doer not a viewer, earn rather than only yearn excitement... here's your chance!
Create substantive changes in your life, reduce stress or worry, and go from apathy and boredom to aggressive exploration. There is no time like the present! Take the "In with the new -- Out with the old" pledge.
I'm changing my life now, tomorrow and indefinitely into the future. I'll spend more time on activities that inform, empower, inspire and drive me to action than those that encourage passive existence.
Here's a quick Mind Acrobatics exercise to jump start your transformation!
"Mirror Mirror on the Wall"
As with all exercises read this one through first then try it on for size later!
Time needed: Whatever works best for you
Materials: A mirror and a curious mind
- Stand in front of the mirror.
- Take a quick look at yourself. Body, mind & spirit.
- Spontaneously think what you find appealing.
- Ignore critical thoughts. They're just useless detritus.
- Look at your reflection while you take ten long breaths.
- Close your eyes.
- Breath in and out slowly 5 more times keeping them shut.
- Do a quick inventory of your life. What's working best?
- Recall positive watershed moments that invigorated you.
- What facilitated the events of your happiest flashback?
- Open your eyes quickly.
- Smile, hug yourself and blow a kiss.
- Take one long deep breath then go out and seize the moment.
Out with the status quo.
Some things are easier said than done. It's often much simpler to stick to your existing comfort level. If that's you, great. Everyone has different personal desires.
However, if you're looking for more out of life and believe that every additional minute allotted on Earth is a gift then now's a great time to renew efforts to bring extra vim, verve and vigor into your existence.
The Mind Acrobatics acronym is appropriate here... G.D.S.A.
G - Get in touch with the inner you.
D - Discover what changes you'd like to make in your life.
S - Set goals to turn those changes into reality.
A - Accomplish all that you set out to do.
Read more about G.D.S.A.
It's so easy to fall into the trap of a daily pattern of same old... same old. It takes no thought, effort or energy. However, many feel a sense of dis-ease with their lives.
Dis-ease is the sensation that you are not satisfied with things as they are, but unable to put your finger on what's missing. "There must be more to life and I want my share!"
And so you shall have it! Desire for change is a great motivator. You don't have to be clear on what it is you'd like, simply that you are about to embark upon a journey. It's really a lot of fun when you don't know where things are going.
Have you ever gotten into your car and started driving with no end destination? I have. One time I left New York late in the evening, hit NJ State Route 17 and didn't look back. This is a road I'd used locally for over 15 years but had no idea where it ended. At 4:30 am I found myself in Hershey, Pennsylvania and later in the afternoon explored the incredible Hershey Gardens.
The next morning landed me in Washington, D. C. I located a heretofore unknown older 1st cousin once removed who was a peace activist and had been banned from the Nixon White House. What fun. Even more surprising, his father was my Great Uncle a family legend who in the late 1920s wrestled a bear and won. The bear's owner refused to pay claiming my Uncle Louie had tickled him.
Another mini Mind Acrobatics exercise:
- Grab a pen and pad of paper.
- Spend 15 minutes writing in pure stream of consciousness.
- Capture every realistic and seemingly outlandish wish and desire you've ever had.
- This is not a "bucket list" but rather a compilation of all that excites you.
- When you're done writing pick one fantasy and create a plan to set it in motion!
Go out and slay a dragon!
Excerpted from the forthcoming book: Comfy In My Skin... Transformation From The Inside Out! By Dave Kanegis
Find more articles about life transformation and other topics on personal growth and relationships.
Contact Dave Kanegis at: firstname.lastname@example.org