by David Kanegis /Huffington Post Contributor
Certified Professional Coach, Mindful Living Advocate & Educator
If you're ready to start transforming your life, Now's a good time.
You don't need a sweat suit, sneakers and water bottle. It's all about the power of imagination to create change. Relax, unwind and prepare to enjoy yourself.
Let the Mind Acrobatics™ begin.
This first exercise will help release the creativity buried deep inside your brain. Yes, you are creative. Trust me!
Exercise #1 -- Taste Buds Get Ready
- Stick out your tongue and imagine you've just sprinkled it with a light coating of sweet brown sugar mixed with a hint of vanilla.
- Add crumpled graham crackers.
- Now a bit of warm apple compote.
- Drizzle on a few gooey lightly salted caramel pecans.
- Top it off with a generous dollop of pure, creamery fresh whipped cream.
- Swirl it all around a bit, use your tongue and push it up against the roof of your mouth, hold it there a moment, then swallow.
- Stay with the sensation for a minute or two. Relish the mixture of textures and flavor. Savor the sweetness of the whipped cream and saltiness of the pecans. Feel the warmth of the apple compote. OK, cleanse your palate with a sip of your drink.
Great going, you've just completed your first Mind Acrobatics exercise, enjoyed a tasty dessert and gained no calories. Way to go!:)
Although we dove right into the exercise in a lighthearted manner, don't be deceived. If you were able to attain even a slight sense of pleasure in the experience, you are one of the lucky ones possessing ability to harness the great power of the mind to transform your life. Whether you're a Baby Boomer, 20 or 90, you've had years of indoctrination into a belief system that may not be serving you well. Perhaps it was a combination of input from your parents. relatives, peers, television, magazines and how you experienced and internalized all this external data.
Pile on top of that the variety of negative feedback all of us get growing up, and by adulthood we may not have any idea about who "the real me" is.
Many an innately creative, bright, fun loving, spontaneous individual never gets the joy of experiencing this side of themselves.
Have you ever mused, "who am I, what do I really want, something's missing, there must be more to life."
This isn't a novel concept. A great deal has been written on the topic. What is different is the approach you are choosing to make all the small and large life changes you desire.
The Mind Acrobatics premise is very simple:
Learn about yourself through enjoyable exercises, then make changes based upon the real time data you've received from within. Most importantly... always start from the positive.
Ask "what's right with me," not "what's wrong with me?"
About Transforming Your Life:
The popular in vogue expression might be Life Makeover. It's not off target. Your mind is a powerful tool. Harnessing it effectively you'll:
- Get in touch with the inner you
- Discover what changes you'd like to make in your life
- Set goals to turn those changes into reality
- Accomplish all that you set out to do
When you're through, you will have experienced a self-directed life makeover. Changes made from the inside out stick with you. You'll be living life on your terms based upon the new and self actualized individual with whom you've recently become acquainted.
Both enjoyable and incredibly transformational, Mind Acrobatics never presumes to tell you what or how to change. You're provided with a series of thought provoking exercises.
You take the ball and run with it at a comfortable pace!
Here's another exercise. You can do it now, after you've finished this article or whenever the mood feels right. You'll need a pen or pencil, a piece of paper or a journal and about 20 minutes.
Exercise 2 -- What's Going Right in My Life!
- Dress in comfortable clothing then find your favorite nesting spot.
- Sit upright, prone or however you are most comfortable.
- Visualize a used coffee filter with wet grounds. (It represents all the pre-conceived notions you hold about yourself.)
- Throw it away.
- At the top of the page write these words. "What's Working Well In My Life."
- Now without pausing to think begin writing whatever comes to mind.
- Don't censor your thoughts with any doubts or negativity.
- Continue writing for about 20 minutes.
- Continue until you feel like ending the exercise.
Mind Acrobatics provides a self coaching blueprint for change that allows you to take charge and be the captain of your ship. You make all the great transformations and discoveries that will empower you, enhance and add new dimension to your life.
You may opt to "exercise" on your own, with a partner or a friend. Everything is on your terms. You make of your life what you choose!
Perhaps you'll come up with your own program and make the commitment right now to create change in your life. What's most important is to operate on an 'I can and will" premise and adopt "GDSA."
Get in touch, Discover, Set Goals, Accomplish! That's all it takes!
Please feel free to share thoughts about what works for you and to make suggestions of exercises and other activities that you've found helpful. We all learn and grow from each other's experiences!
Excerpted from the forthcoming book: Comfy In My Skin... Transformation From The Inside Out! By Dave Kanegis