1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
1 small butternut squash, halved, seeded, peeled, ½-inch slices
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small red onion, cut into ¾-inch wedges
¼ cup white balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
¼ cup minced cilantro
1 can garbonzo beans (chickpeas), drained, rinsed
Queso fresco cheese, crumbled, to serve
Lemon Honey Vinaigrette (recipe below)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spread 1 tablespoon olive oil to coat sheet.
2. Bring the 2 cups water to boil in 2 qt saucepan. Add 1 cup quinoa, bring back to boil, cover, cook over medium-low heat for about 12 minutes or until quinoa has absorbed all water. Remove from heat, fluff, cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Set aside.
3. Place butternut squash slices on baking sheet and turn to coat with oil. Roast for 10 minutes.
4. Turn squash slices over and add onion wedges. Drizzle onion with remainder of olive oil. Roast for 10-15 more minutes, or until squash is tender and onions are browning on edges.
4. In a large bowl, mix together the vinegar, sugar, minced cilantro, chickpeas and cooked quinoa. Mound on serving platter or individual salad plates.
5. Top quinoa mixture with onion, butternut squash slices and crumbled cheese. Drizzle with half of Lemon Honey Vinaigrette (or more, to taste). Pass remainder of vinaigrette at table.
Lemon Honey Vinaigrette
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon lemon juice
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
1. Place vinaigrette ingredients in small bowl and whisk to emulsify.